"Dedicated To The Winners & The Losers..." - Raekwon


Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hey, Doc! What’s New? : Not A Blogger’s New Rap Song Round-Up

I’m gonna be writing a long protracted piece on Barack Obama’s race speech and how it relates to hip hop music soon but until then here are some new songs that I’ve been blaring on my iPod as I traverse the subway system on the way to work these days.


Foul Mouth Jerk Feat. Masta Ace – Small Town U.S.A.


As any avid fan of this blog (or anybody on the hipster-infested streets of Williamsburg when I’m pissy drunk and yelling) can attest to, I worship anything at the altar of Masta Ace. I’m not sure if Duval Clear is, in fact, the resurrected body of the lord and savior, Santa C.K. Claus, but if he’s not then he’s damn close. Masta Ace works his magic once again with some dude unfortunately named Foul Mouth Jerk (who according to his Myspace page is working on his fourth album. Who the fuck knew?) over a classic dusty soul sample on a song about the pleasures of performing in Podunkville, U.S.A. This song is just beautiful and is vintage Mast Ace to boot. It features sweeping, cinematic strings and an upbeat horn section in which Ace and Jerk rap about their appreciation for the wild audiences of the Midwest. This is definitely a keeper.


Download: http://www.zshare.net/audio/91476116a8e54e/


Rakim Feat. Lil’ Fame – I’m Back


Somebody must have put some of that stuff that Lil’ Wayne’s been drinking that keeps Weezy making so many songs into William Griffin’s fish (which would be his favorite dish) because Rakim has been producing a lot of quality tracks after such a long creative hiatus. The God MC and Fizzy Womack on the same track?! Somebody give me the ol’ proverbial ass pinchin’ because my non-believing butt needs to wake up. Fame laces the track with some of his signature moody bass heavy punch you in the face production and provides the hook to this heater. Rakim is back in rare form on this one and when this happens basically means that he’s the best rapper currently working outside of…well, no one really. Rakim basically takes the jumping point from Nas’ “U.B.R.” a few years back and explains what the hell he’s been doing the last couple of years and how he’s still dope which he uses as basically just an exercise to flex his godly lyrical muscles. Thanks for the update, Ra. Don’t be such a stranger, next time.


Download: http://www.zshare.net/audio/91756203233d18/


Wale Feat. Bun-B & Pusha-T – Back In The Go-Go


If you need further proof that Wale should be your favorite new rapper, you only need to hear his new single, “Back In The Go-Go”, off his upcoming new mixtape, The Mixtape About Nothing (Wait isn’t that all mixtapes?). The song features the venerable Bun-B, who has been an absolute tear since the death of his partner, Pimp C in December, and noted cocaine enthusiast, Pusha T. This song is an upbeat, fun party song that pays homage to Wale’s D.C. Go-Go roots and all concerned rise to the occasion. Musically, the song employs liberal use of the xylophone and is backed by a break beat of congos and uptempo soul strings. This song just is plain fun. Let’s hope to God that Jimmy Iovine isn’t signing Wale to the Beast in order to bury him on the bench in order to continue to put out MC Negro and the Ignorant MC and not make him look bad. Word to Lord Digga!


Download: http://www.zshare.net/audio/8839305da120da/


Joe Budden – Touch & Go


Now, I could be completely wrong about this song being a good song because I generally avoid anything that sounds like bootleg Timbaland (or normal Timbaland, too…No, I’m kidding…Sort of) but I kind of like this. “Touch & Go”, supposedly the first single off The Padden Room, Joey’s first album since Hova decided he was gonna ruin Budden’s career for being jealous that Joe was a better rapper than he was, is a naked club track with strong electro influences that sounds suspiciously like something that Swizz Beats would do (hence the bootleg Timbo reference earlier…) but despite all that I’m kind of digging on this. While Budden always has been a quality lyricist often his style can get intolerable when he’s rapping just to show off but his best stuff has always been the clubbier stuff, surprisingly. This song could be completely terrible but for the moment, I’m gonna risk my reputation and give it the thumbs up. It’s definitely better than that Lil’ Wayne bullshit. Fuck what you think. Intentional ironic humor isn’t ironic nor funny. It sucks. Nice try, Weezer.


Download: http://www.zshare.net/audio/91757910de6401/


The Roots Feat. Mos Def, Styles P & Dice Raw – Rising Down (Hum Drum)


Finally, my favorite whipping boy, Tom Briehan, recently gave the thumbs up to the new Roots album which usually bodes ill for the actual quality of the final material since you know…he likes it all but I gotta say outside of that atrocious “Birthday Girl”, the Roots have been really killing it right now. “Rising Down (Hum Drum)”, the title track of the new album, happens to be the best of the bunch leaked thus far. I gotta say I’m really digging this new dark synth heavy direction the Roots have been going with on this album and this new song continues the trend. I gotta say what really stands out on this track is the guest verses provided by Mos Def and Styles P. Mos Def sounds like he gives a fuck again and Styles P drops the best verse that I’ve heard from him maybe ever. I’m hoping to god that this Roots album is as good as Tommy Boy says it is because at this point, I’m in desperation for a quality rap album to be released. I don’t think I can take anymore fat, sweaty guys pretending they hail from Miami making shitty club rap produced by the Runners, anymore. I need something to stop myself from spiraling into depression-induced alcoholism. I can’t take this shit, anymore.


P.S. To Tommy: You know I got love for you, baby...Wait, um, pause.


Download: http://www.zshare.net/audio/89376277f12e9f/

5 comments:

Trey Stone said...

damn, seems like you attribute a lot of sinister motives to the (real) Best Rapper Alive. i'm guessing it has something to do with your Nastannery

personally, i think that "Touch & Go" beat's kinda middling. that new Madonna/Timbalake song on the other hand? ingenious. the realest hip hop

DocZeus said...

"damn, seems like you attribute a lot of sinister motives to the (real) Best Rapper Alive. i'm guessing it has something to do with your Nastannery"

Well if there is smoke than Jay-Z is probably setting fire to somebody he's jealous of.

As for Buddens new joint, I can't say one way or the other if this song is good which is why I qualified my statement. I put it on an iPod mix lately when I'm on my way to work and I don't exactly pass over it. I'm mean at the least it's not as bad "Lollipop" or "Birthday Girl."

rm said...

Thanks for all the new stuff. Just curious, what makes you not a hipster like the ones you refer to in your neighborhood. Not trying to diss, but it just seems like all the rap blogs I read have this obsession with hating hipsters, but then most of the bloggers actually fit that demographic pretty well--white, 20-something, college-degree, always looking for the newest music, heavy sarcasm/irony, and dislike for anything popular. I know you always respond to posts, so I just thought you might have a good perspective on that.

DocZeus said...

"Thanks for all the new stuff. Just curious, what makes you not a hipster like the ones you refer to in your neighborhood. Not trying to diss, but it just seems like all the rap blogs I read have this obsession with hating hipsters, but then most of the bloggers actually fit that demographic pretty well--white, 20-something, college-degree, always looking for the newest music, heavy sarcasm/irony, and dislike for anything popular. I know you always respond to posts, so I just thought you might have a good perspective on that."

Well I don't have anything particularly against hipsters because most of my friends would qualify as them. Although, I don't really fit the bill.

A hipster is kind of nebulous thing though since there really isn't a set definiton. Generally, I don't really dress like them since I have no penchant for tight pants, funny hats, or ironic t-shirts. I dress comfortably and somewhat i guess mainstream. Plus, I have no particular taste for purposely ironic humor. I find it somewhat cheap and cliche.

I don't know I suppose there is a school of thought that all white people living in brooklyn qualifies one as a hipster but i don't really fit the bill otherwise.

rm said...

Thanks, that makes sense, and applies pretty closely to myself as well if I really think about it. I really enjoy the blog by the way, keep it up.